Tuesday, December 10, 2013

House of Cards and Orange is the New Black

I have been out of commission for awhile. I took some time off to travel. I lived abroad for a bit. While that was a great experience I definitely missed American film and television. 

I have recently signed up with Netflix. So I thought I would highlight a couple TV series that are worth watching if you’ve got the time.

I just discovered the amazingness that is “House of Cards.” Kevin Spacey has proved once again he is an invigorating actor who has a strong presence in every role he plays. He brings the character of Frank Underwood, a Congressman, to life embodying the epitome of what politics is today; cheating, lying, and clawing your way to the top. The entire cast is riveting and the plot twists keep you wanting more. The series is not a lot of action but mainly dialogue driven. I would say “House of Cards” is a modern day “West Wing.”







Season 2 will be released February 14, 2014. 


I was hesitant about “Orange is the New Black” at first but after just a couple episodes I became hooked. The series is about a “good girl” whose past catches up with her when she has to serve time in a women’s correctional facility, for international drug pedaling in her former years. Piper Chapman, played by Taylor Schilling, is forced into a crazy new world that will make you laugh, cry, and gasp at what really goes on behind bars. The cast, of mainly women, is one big dysfunctional family played very cohesively given the in-your-face racist and sexist sentiments. Although mainly a dark comedy the series touches on serious social and political issues we face with incarcerated people.





Season 1 is entirely available on Netflix right now. No news on when season 2 will be released. Speculation hints a new season may be released early-to-mid 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment