Friday, March 16, 2012

21 Jump Street


Let me preface by saying, I have not seen the original 21 Jump Street. But it seems fine because I think they made this movie for the 13-28 demographic. I’m assuming, this age demo hasn’t seen the original series. So what I’m trying to say is, the film has a complete modern twist to it so that it’s relatable to young people today. You don’t need to be a fan of the original in order to like this film.

21 Jump Street wasn’t bad, and I fairly enjoyed it. The movie was actually funny. I know, some of you may be thinking “Channing Tatum is a chick-flick actor, what is he doing in comedy?” But let me tell you, he surprised me also. I can even go so far as to say that he was funnier than Jonah Hill. Hill played the typical nerdy quirky partner. I think that’s why people gave him so much credit for “Moneyball.” Hill was type casted after his breakthrough role in ‘Superbad,’ but soon stepped out of the mold with his Oscar nominating role. Don’t expect an oscar-worthy performance in this movie.

While we’re on the topic of the cast, I’ll also mention that Dave Franco made an impacting impression as well. Fun fact, he is James Franco’s younger brother (I didn’t know that until after I watched the film).

I think they kept the movie hip, while also throwing in some old school moves. There are some 1980’s references, music, and surprises. The movie also doesn’t cross over as a chick flick either, which I appreciated. Yes there are some love story sub-plots, but that’s almost inevitable in every movie like this. The “love story” wasn’t focused on too much. The main focus of the film was the battle Channing and Jonah face as two fuck-up-cops on assignment as undercover high-schoolers. They were an odd duo, but they worked well with each other. I think they were perfectly casted as “the jock” and “the nerd” especially because the film takes an odd twist regarding that matter.

Ultimately 21 Jump Street surpassed my expectations. It’s a nice flick to catch on Saturday night or if you want a quick laugh. I think you’ll enjoy this film. See it!



SEE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment